In broad terms, a share market, like any market is a place where buyers and sellers are brought together to buy, sell, trade and invest in financial instruments, while also being a place where companies can facilitate the issuance of shares, initial public offerings and raising capital.
Such financial activities are conducted through institutionalised formal exchanges or over-the-counter (OTC) marketplaces that operate under a defined set of regulations. There can be multiple stock trading venues in a country or a region which allow transactions in stocks and other forms of securities. 
In Australia, the exchange is called the Australian Stock Exchange or ASX, there is only one primary market in Australia, however, in markets like the USA, there can be (and are) a number of exchanges set up such as the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), Nasdaq, BATS and the Chicago Board Operations Exchange (CBOE).
The CBOE was responsible in part for the Cryptocurrency crash when it offered derivative options to bet against the market back in early 2018.
the introduction of technology, trading shares, which was once facilitated by brokers running all over the place at the ‘trading floor’ of the stock exchange, most transactions is facilitated electronically.
1. Schedule an appointment (Conference Call) with an Investment Manager
2. Submit a Managed Discretionary Account (MDA) application with Walker Capital Australia.
3. Open a trading account with the Walker Capital Australia’s executing broker.
4. Select from our range of investment strategies and choose your asset allocation between the choices of accounts.
5. Once all accounts are opened, and funds have been chosen, our team gets to work and begins trading.